The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship is a global program that recognizes and certifies the next generation of outstanding computing research talent.Microsoft recognizes the value of diversity in computing and strives to improve the pipeline of talent earning advanced degrees in computing-related fields to build a stronger and inclusive computing-related research community.We currently offer PhD scholarships in Asia Pacific, Canada, United States, EMEA (Europe, Middle East, Africa), Latin America, Australia and New Zealand
About the organization
Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology company headquartered in Redmond, Washington. It develops, manufactures, licenses, supports, and sells computer software, consumer electronics, personal computers, and related services.The company’s best-known software products are the Microsoft Windows operating systems, the Microsoft Office suite, and the web browsers Internet Explorer and Edge.Microsoft Corporation’s flagship hardware products are the Xbox video game consoles and the Microsoft Surface line of touchscreen personal computers.
- $15,000 will be provided through the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship to complete research on her PhD for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Qualified recipients are offered a 12-week paid internship at the Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI).
- Opportunities will be provided to develop relationships with research teams at Microsoft and receive mentorship.
Requirements for a Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship
- Microsoft’s mission is to empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more. Scholars should support this mission and welcome opportunities to foster diverse and inclusive cultures in their communities.
- Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship grant recipients must be enrolled at a university in Africa
- The proposed research must be closely related to one of the themes of the Microsoft Africa Research Institute (MARI).
- AI/ML/NLP/Data Science: In many useful applications, data is often scarce and biased. Understanding how we work under these conditions and produce useful results has a major impact on many practical problems and gives us a deep understanding of what it means to learn from data. From practical applications like NLP, to understanding the fairness and generalization of results, to improving our understanding of what is possible with the available data for a given problem. We are interested in how we can better deal with the limitations of data.
- Health: Advances in machine learning and AI give us the opportunity to address the disparities in accessing and delivering quality health care for all. We are interested in understanding and exploring spaces where technology can help bridge the gap, from helping healthcare practitioners do their jobs more effectively to bridging the last mile to patients by scaling delivery and reach of quality healthcare using technology.
- Sustainability: Microsoft’s commitment to sustainability is achieved through the use of cloud and AI (artificial intelligence) tools to transform the way we monitor, model, and ultimately help solve the world’s environmental problems . Within MARI, we apply AI and analytics to understand and design solutions that address sustainability-related challenges. If you are enrolled in an African university pursuing a PhD program in artificial intelligence, machine learning, statistics or a related field with a focus on solving sustainability-related problems, we would welcome your application.??
- Human-Computer Interaction: We are looking for fellows in the field of Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) who investigate usability and design issues in the areas of work, health, sustainability and society. Typically, HCI interns direct and conduct research studies (online or on-site), usability studies, literature reviews, and design interventions.
- Students must enter the second year or beyond of their PhD program sometime between August 2022 and July 2023, taking into account transfers, approved leaves of absence, etc.
- Doctoral candidates must still be enrolled at the university at the beginning of the 2023 academic year, otherwise the award will be forfeited. The Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship cannot be extended. If you require time off for family or medical reasons, this will be taken into account. If you are unsure whether a specific time off need impacts the award, you can contact Microsoft Research Fellowships at email@example.com
- Payment of the award, as described above, will be made straight to the university and distributed according to the university’s policies. Microsoft will have control as to how any remaining funds will be used if the student is no longer qualified to receive funding (e.g., if the student enrolls from the program, graduates, or transfers to a different university).
- Funding is for use only during the recipient’s time in the PhD program; it cannot be used for support in a role past graduation, such as a postdoc or faculty position. Those interested in receiving this fellowship will need to ensure their PhD program starts month and year, as well as their expected graduation month and year.
- A recipient of the Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship subject to disciplinary proceedings for improper behavior, including but not limited to prejudice, harassment (including sexual harassment), or plagiarism will forfeit their funding.
- PhD scholars submitting a proposal should be able to communicate their research (both in writing and verbally) in English.
How to Apply for Microsoft Research PhD Fellowship
For further details, visit: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/academic-program/phd-fellowship